Tuesday, July 14, 2009

I just need to blow some steam

Can I just tell you how much I hate insurance? What a joke it is to even have it. I am fuming mad right now.

I just paid $68 for a antibiotic for Parker! I about had a panic attack after the clerk rang it up. My insurance only paid $15 of it. He needed it so I got it anyway. I cried all the way home.

On top of that, I had to pay a $25 copay(this morning) for a post op visit to Weston's ENT doctor to check up on his new tubes in his ears.

Then, $20 copay to take Parker to the doctor because he has had a high fever for 4 days. Turns out he has a ear infection. Hence the expensive antibiotics.

Seriously. Sometimes I wonder why we even have insurance. Why do companies make it so difficult for families to have adequate coverage in case of an emergency? I wait until the last minute to take my kids to the doctor because I don't want to waste my copay. How sad is that? This is an ugly world we live in. We are honest, hard working, middle class, tax paying people-- why is insurance not affordable?

6 comments:

SloneFamily said...

Ok, I completely second that!!! Boo for crappy insurance. Can you try switching your coverage??

Gina said...

I'm feeling your pain. We've got a plan with a high deductable. When we get any sort of procedure done, we have NO idea what it is going to cost us until the bill comes in the mail. Why is that okay??!

The Van Fam said...

seriously... you took the exact words out of my mouth!! a while ago treys eyes were red so i called his doctor... who i usually love and he is great and called in a prescription for drops. then they call back the next day and say they really think i should take him in bc it could be more serious. i debated about it all day and finally took him in stressing over having to pay the 25 copay. we get there are there maybe 10 minutes he looks in his ears and then says hes fine! i was so so so mad and thought all day about what i could have spent that 25 on! at least you aren't alone! maybe obamas universal healthcare isn't sounding too bad anymore! oh and on top of that our health insurance just went up 40 this month.... can you tell i am venting too!

Emily said...

I just want to say that I hate it, too, but if we were on Obama's universal healthcare, half of our paychecks would be going to that, so I'm thankful for what I have, but I'm really sorry about 68 dollars for an antibiotic. That really is not fair!!! At least his ears can get better!

Chelsey Howard said...

I think everyone feels the same way. It literally makes me sick to my stomache when I think of how much we pay every month. I had to take Brady to the Urgent care today, he has an ear infection too. $50 dollars I'll never see again, and I haven't picke up the antibiotic yet:( Bu ton the bright side, at least we have great medicine to help out kids feel better.

Unknown said...

Have you seen the movie "Sicko"? I watched it last week and am now a huge supporter or universal healthcare. I spent $700 on medical stuff last month! It sucks. I mean really what's the point of paying for it if they aren't going to cover anything you need?!