Today has just been one of those days that I just want to crawl under a rock and hide. Not to get away from anyone but to hide from embarrassment!
Where do I begin?
For the past few days I have been dreading going to the bank. I really needed to go to the bank though because I have a whole bunch of checks for soccer that I need to cash real bad. By time Tyler gets home at night, the bank is closed. So I have no other choice than to load the kids in the heat and go all the way to the bank!
As we are driving, and almost there, all the sudden Weston flings open his door! I am not even kidding. He didn't just open it-- he flung it open! I do have child locks on my door but for some reason it wasn't on (probably from just getting my car wash).
I freaked out and told him to shut it. There was a car right next to us and I still don't know how it didn't hit that car??
I pull into the bank parking lot, heart racing, and told Weston not to even ask for a sucker when we get inside and told him that he was in big trouble. (This is the whole reason I avoid the bank is because of the stupid Dum- Dums they hand out). He then proceeded to cry before I could even get the kids out of the car. SO I calmly reminded him to stop or we'd just leave and go home and go straight to bed.
As we are standing in line at the bank the man in front of me says, "Your kids are so well behaved. Mine were never like that."
Me: Shocked at the irony of someone saying this to me moments after my car door almost being torn off.
I proceeded to tell him thank you and then I just had to add that my sweet little 4 year old was in trouble right now and that was really why he was being quite.
It was finally our turn at the bank. I handed the lady all 14 checks and my bank card and my ID and she disappeared for about 5 minutes to get the cash.
In the mean time, Weston is screaming at the top of his lungs ," I want a sucker right now MOM!" and he was hitting at my legs!
Me: Mortified. I just stood there and tried to ignore him.
I did manage to give him the look of death if he didn't shush and calmly told him to stop. I also reminded him that I told him not to EVEN ask for a sucker.
The lady returned after a LONG while (or so it seemed) and said, "Does he want a sucker? Is that why he is so sad?"
Me: Yes he does but he can't have one... he is in big trouble right now.
I'm trying to leave the bank and Weston is holding on to the counter for deer life screaming that he wants a sucker. I have Parker in my arms so pretty much I am useless and can't do anything but pull his wrist.
I manage to finally pull him out of the bank and got him in the car where he then proceeded to scream the whole 3 minutes home.
When we got home I didn't say a word to him and put him straight in his room. After him crying and shouting that I am a mean mom, it is finally silent.
Days like this are so hard. It is even harder to hear your child call you mean. It breaks my heart and makes me teary- eyed. I can count on one hand how many times Weston has had a full on temper tantrum in public. He normally is a very well behaved kid, or so I like to think.
I know it is just him expressing his independent behavior but it is so hard. I try to handle it calmly but inside I just want to blow up. My husband has taught me to be calm in situations like this because nothing good comes out of anger.
I really enjoy being a mother! There is no other calling in this world more important than that. Somedays I just want to scream though!
I really just needed to vent about this super bad horrible embarrassing event today.
Tuesday, August 5, 2008
My way or the highway
Posted by Unknown at 1:05 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







10 comments:
Oh Andrea, I'm sorry you had such a rotten afternoon. Believe me, it's experiences like this that make you stronger. And you're NOT mean. Mean moms let their kids do anything they want with no consequences. You're helping him learn that he has free agency, but that he is accountable for those choices.
I don't know why, but I'm getting all choked up just typing this. I guess it feels like both yesterday and a million years ago when I had little kids like you do. I miss it sometimes--even the temper tantrums in the bank. Anyway, enough about me. You did the right thing!
Les.
oh my goodness I hate moments like that. parenting tactics at home vs public are always difficult. It is so much easier to assess and ignore at home then when you are in somewhere public, like, say, the BANK where you are holding up other people. ugh I hate it. Thats where I feel most inadequate as a parent. I never know what to do in those situations.
it sounds like you handled it well, stuck to your guns, and sent the message about car safety which is really so important. That's all it is right? Us trying to teach them to be safe and polite and productive people.
good job mom. I am so proud of you. you always impress me.
oh andrea!! it's not embarassing...you're an AWESOME MOM!!! you could've gone to sprouts and had him sing at the top of his lungs bow chicka wow wow...and KEEP doing it JUST because you said to stop while trying to hold in laughter(yes-this DID happen to me TONIGHT with wyatt). at least you didn't leave him in the car for punishment...you know how that situation could get REAL embarassing...mugshot on a billborad somewhere...i miss you!
What a day! I too remember the look of death that my mom would give us if we were being naughty. And Im sure im going to give it to my kids. The bank lady should have just minded her business though. Dont egg the kid on! Well Hope he gets a good nights rest. sounds like he needs it. You are a great mom!
What a good mom to stick to your guns. I would have probably gave in. You should take them to Britt Woolf's on Thursday for babysitting and give you abreak. My girls will be there.
Andrea, I am so sorry! I hate days/moments like that! I can't imagine yet how it will be taking 2 out when they are acting up! Trey is hard enough lately! (you saw his major temper tantrum at Barros haha) Geez I hate when they freak out like that! And there is really nothing you can do but just let them calm themselves down. You are one patient girl though! I dont know if I would have been able to handle it like that! The ironic thing is lately I have been praying for patience and Trey has been acting up more! Hope today is a better day!! Weston really is a good kid though so dont sweat it!
Ok I am so with you. I've had the same things happen with my kids(even the car door thing). Unfortunately it just gets harder the more kids you have. But some how and Im still trying to figure out how to not let it get to you too bad and know when they say they hate you(yes that day will come) and your mean that they are just expressing themselves. hang in there girl and know your not the only one who has to go through this.
ps.. I'll watch your kids while you go to the bank:)
Oh i'm so sorry to hear about your hectic day at the bank. Kudos to you for handling it so well. I probably would have lost it the moment I got to the car. You're not a mean mom. Kids do need limits and he is experiencing independence for sure. Kody has tantrums too... oh the joy those are.
qmoh My Gosh! Ok, Sweetie why dont you just cash your checks in the drive thru?? Or do you have one of those NON Mom Friendly Banks that doesnt have one. You sound like you are an excellent Mom... dont beat yourself up. That is so good that you can stay calm.... that is my weakness, I always stress and freak out.
Don't u love blogging just so you can vent:) I totally feel your pain. shea is usually really good too, but a week ago I went grocery shopping with her and I was already cranky cause I was having contractions and Shea was throwing a fit cause she couldn't get the princess snacks!!! Days like that are no fun! But at least you dont have tons of those days, cause for the most part your kids are VERY sweet:)
Post a Comment