December 22nd- Ob appointment. I was dilated to a 4 and 80% effaced. She said she could feel my bag of water but it wasn't bulging. She said she could feel both babies putting a tremendous amount of pressure on it... I began to panic because Christmas was so soon. My doctor began to tell me that she'd be off for the holidays. She'd be home-- just not on call. Since we have been through so much in this 34 weeks of pregnancy, she insisted to deliver me. So she gave me her cell phone number and told me to call her if I needed her and she'd meet me at the hospital.
Determined to make it past the holidays, I layed flat on my back for a few more days....
December 24th- Around midnight I began waking up feeling like I had wet myself a little bit (I really couldn't tell). I just brushed it off because I WAS NOT going to have Christmas Eve babies! My mom was going to make a huge, yummy dinner that night--- no way was I going to miss it!
In fact, at one point I had wiped soooo many times (in denial) that I clogged the toilet! I got up 3 more times that night to pee and with each I had leaked just a little bit.
At 6 am I stood up and then the huge gush came. It was the weirdest feeling, ever. I stood there and told Tyler my water broke. He didn't believe me. So I took off my underwear and showed him how wet they were...
His response, "Are you sure you didn't just pee your pants?"
As I stood there, amniotic fluid was still leaking everywhere.
6AM- I called Dr.B on her cell phone and told her my water broke. She told me to get my butt down to the hospital and she'd be waiting for me.
Then, I realized that we still had 2 sleeping kids to worry about and I didn't have a bag packed!
We managed to get things figured out and I was at the hospital by 6:45 AM.
**By the way, if your water breaks don't even bother wearing a pad-- it will leak through**
Things moved pretty quickly from there.
They set me up in triage since I wasn't in any pain. They wanted to monitor the babies for a bit and see what my contractions were doing on there own.
I was contracting on my own every 2 minutes, pretty intensely. They wanted to see what change it would do to my cervix.
I was progressing on my own, but not as quick as my Dr liked.
I went ahead and got my epidural-- even though I wasn't too uncomfortable.
From this point on, it really is a blur.
I went from a 4 to an 8-- super quick.
I kept feeling pressure and the urge to push but I was still an 8.
At this time the nurse comes in and tells me she needs to talk to me. She pulls up a chair. Then, she informs me that they are under-staffed in the nursery because it is Christmas Eve. She said they have tried all they could to get more nurses and floaters but it was a NO-GO. She goes on and says that if my babies come out and need assistance with breathing that they will have to be air-lifted to Banner Desert. She told me it was already set up there and they knew my twins were going to come and they have 2 beds waiting for them...
I was hysterical. How can a nurse just come in and tell me this when I am already dilated to a flippin 8?
I refused to be at a different hospital than my babies.
I demanded them to transport me, mid-labor. So that I could deliver at Banner Desert and have my babies already there.
My Dr. came in and sat on my bed and was calming me down and talking with me. She reassured me that if they needed to be transported that she'd just release me and let me go.
No sooner did she say that, I started vomiting. My sweet doctor caught it just in time with a lovely pink bowl and washed me up...
Vomit during labor for me = baby head coming out!
They rushed me to the OR so that I could deliver (all multiple births have to be done in OR just in case)
Let me tell you..... it was a flippin zoo back there. All the nurses were predicting that I was going to be transferred so no one, I mean NO ONE was prepared. Every one was scrambling around.
My doctor wasn't happy. We were both looking at each other in disbelief as the nurses got their act together.
The whole birth in the OR was quite an experience in itself. The lights were bright. The place was sterile. There were lots of nurses.
I probably could have coughed or sneezed and Sawyer would have come out. Seriously. Two pushes and Mr. Sawyer entered our lives.
--He was perfect. 5 lbs 7oz and 18.5 inches long. He was crying and breathing.
--He was perfect. 5 lbs 7oz and 18.5 inches long. He was crying and breathing.
It is so weird to think that 2 babies were in me. 2 babies!
I felt done after I pushed him out.
My eyes were so fixed on him and all the nurses working on him that I didn't realize that my Dr. popped my other bag of water.
Poor Judson wasn't ready to come out. He was cozy and comfy in there
Once she broke my water Judson actually flipped inside of me.
Thank goodness for epidurals. That is all I have to say about that. Needless to say, my awesome Dr. flipped Mr. Judson around and 4 pushes later he came into our lives.
Weighing in at a whopping 5lbs 10 oz and 18 3/4 inches.
He struggled breathing and wasn't crying.
They stuck a tube down his throat right away and stabilized him.
Then, off and away my babies went. I didn't even hold either one of them!
----------------------
A few hours later I was able to go to the nursery and see/touch them. It was heartbreaking. IV's, tubes, monitors-- it is a picture that haunts my mind.
At 9 pm the Air Evac team came to transport my babies to Banner Desert.
I was released a few hours later.
We decided to get some sleep since I just birthed 2 children and was sleep deprived and extremely emotional.
We were at the hospital the next morning by 7AM to be with our sweet boys.
It was sad. I didn't even recognize my own children. Again, the tubes, IV's, monitors, wires, cords, etc.-- it was almost too much to handle.
I felt so helpless. All I could do was touch their skin and pump for them.
This would be our lives for the next 17 days.







7 comments:
Holy cow, what a story! Your pictures are fabulous. I am SO glad things worked out so well despite all the craziness.
Wow what an experience! So sorry your sweet babies had to be taken from you right away. I know it's hard to see the little ones with all those tubes and IV's. Glad they are able to be home with you now
What a story!!! Im so glad the twins and you are doing so much better :) Call me if you need anything!!!
K I am totally bawling over here. Andrea you are so amazingly strong! That would be so hard to not hold them right away and to havae them at the hospital for so long. You are amazing!! I'm so glad that both the boys are doing good now though:) What a blessing.
What an experience you had! My goodness! I'm sure it must have been difficult with your boys in the hospital but you are all home together now, right? The part of your story where Tyler doesn't believe your water has broken so you take off your undies and show him, had me laughing to hard I could have peed! Too funny! Congratulations on your new additions, you guys are quite the adorable family :)
Andrea, you are amazing! I am so happy that you guys are all together now! They are just so perfect and so cute. Congrats again girl!
seriously what a story! but they are precious and im glad everything turned out great and that you are all together. congrats!
Post a Comment