Kids really do have opinions of their own when they get bigger. It has been hard for me to just take the back seat and watch Weston make decisions. I guess it is all part of growing up, right?
He came home with a flier from school about soccer, cheer and karate.
Naturally,the soccer player in me, says: Oh cool--soccer season!
Weston: Mom, I HATE soccer and don't want to play ever. I want to do karate (as he points at the picture).
I was just torn. How could a 5 year-old not like to play soccer? It should be in his blood. I played for so many years. I even coached his team last season. I even bought a net so he could practice his kicking skills. I even bought him a little pump to pump up his ball. I even have hideous soccer pictures that I payed money for. He even has a few trophies sitting around collecting dust. I even drove him to practice once a week (right at dinner time) for an hour plus got up early Saturday mornings to have him at his game. How could he say he doesn't like it?
I don't want to be one of those pushy "stage" moms , so I took the back seat and let him make his own choice.
Needless to say, he is now enrolled in karate and LOVES it! He has had it 3 times so far and talks about it all week long.
I guess it is more important for him to be happy and feel good about his sport of choice than for me to have him be a pro soccer player.....
I do hope that maybe next season he'll want to take up soccer again...
Here are a few pictures of Wes and me last season...








3 comments:
Don't tell Christian, either. :) You've got a good attitude, even though it's hard!
Well good thing he didn't choose cheer! JK
Aww that is a cute picture of the two of you. But ya, that makes me nervous on what decisions Parker is going to make, and what interests them. Its sad, but I look at my first grade boys, and I think "oh, I hope Parker turns out like you" or "eh, please don't turn out like you". And that is really mean of me to think, I love all of my first graders, but it does make me nervous on what Parker is going to be as a first grader. I will tell you I have some really neat boys in my class that take karate and love it. But ya, like you said he easily could be interested in soccer again next year. Some times I notice, if one of there friends in their class do that sport/hobby they all of a sudden are interested in it too. He could very well have a friend who takes karate and that is what got him interested in it.
Post a Comment