Friday, July 24, 2009

12 week appointment

Yesterday, I went to my 12 week appointment. I got to hear both babies heartbeats. It was awesome and reassuring all at the same time. I wish Tyler could have been there to experience it as well!

One of the heart rates was at 160 and the other was at 168. So my dream could still be correct of boy/girl twins!



A day before my appointment my doctor informed me that I have Hyperthyroidism. My blood work had come back and my levels were completely off. While I was taken completely off guard, I know deep down that everything will be okay. It is extremely dangerous if left untreated, to my unborn babies. But if we treat it right away and get my levels under control, the possibly of those things goes way down.

I am scared. I am nervous for what the future holds. I already have the odds against me for preterm labor, given my history. Now with twins and an over active thyroid, I will be watched closely.

My doctor told me yesterday to expect the twins after Christmas. Sometime in the very beginning of January.

On a happier note, I lost 3.5 pounds. Funny, huh? That always happens to me first trimester of pregnancy. I better enjoy it now.

3 comments:

Scott and Ashley said...

Congrats Andrea! Twins will be so fun!! Have you guys thought of names?

I have thyroid issues too...guess it's different when your diagnosed when you pregnant. I have been on thyroid medication for like 4 years. Its not too bad once you get your levels figured out. Good thing is that you have the skinny one, I don't!

Leslie said...

Annika takes thyroid meds, too. I hope your doctor gets things straightened out really soon so you don't have to worry about it. ((hugs))

Chelsey Howard said...

You will do great, you just have to make sure you relax. Hard to do when you already have 2 kids, but it will be okay and the twins are gonna be so perfect and so loved. And I think you'll have a boy and a girl. But you should have 2 girls cause then you'd have 2 girls and 2 boys:)