Today is bitter sweet. Not only is it my birthday but it is my grandpa Franco's too. Today marks another year that my grandpa has been gone from this earth.
We were best buds. We shared the same birthday. As you can tell in this picture, we celebrated together every year too. His time on earth was cut way too short and he passed away at such a young age, 11 years ago. I miss him more than words can express. The hard part is not having him here to meet my children and be a part of their lives as he was in mine. I have so many fond memories of him even though the years keep passing by.
I will never forget some of the last words he ever spoke to me. I hold them dear to my heart and hope to never forget.
My grandpa moved into my aunts house to be more comfortable to battle the cancer which he fought....
Aug.7, 1997
As he layed there in the bed, getting skinner and skinner, he reached for my hand.
Grandpa: Happy Birthday
ME: Grandpa, it isn't my birthday today. It is still a month away!
Grandpa: I know it isn't today but I wanted to be able to tell you that before I pass on.
It is like he knew his days here were coming to an end. Of course I cried as I was standing next to his bed with his hand in mine. It was so comforting to know that he was thinking of me while he lie there in bed so helpless and in pain.
Needless to say he did pass and his funeral was on my 13th birthday. Our birthday. It was a day that I'd never forget.
I miss my grandpa so much and cannot wait for the day that we meet again.
Some things I learned from my grandpa:
- How to bowl
- How to pop my toes
- How to sing the Scooby Doo Song....
- How to go on long bike rides
- Lemon Surprise Cake (that my mom makes)
Happy Birthday Pops!








7 comments:
Happy birthday sweetheart. . . what precious memories you have of you and your grandfather - hold them close to your heart.
miss you - i can't believe we're another year older :)
Happy Birthday, Andrea! What a sweet tribute to your Grandpa. Sofia shares a bday with my dad. I hope she has as many good memories about her grandpa as you do.
Leslie
happy birthday!
happy birthday andrea's pops!
Happy Birthday! I loved to hear what you had to say about your grandpa. I was never close to either of mine. not like that anyway. I can tell you love your grandpa. happy birthday to him too
Happy Birthday! Sorry I didn't make it to dinner with Chels I didnt even get her message until 2 nights later. I suck at checking my messages...That is an amazing memory of your grandfather to always keep with you. I won't lie I cried. It was so sweet!
Happy Birthday! That's the best to have such great memories of your grandpa but also makes you so sad! I totally understand! Jeff is a fire sprinkler technician, he always works days but they just had a job to do that had to be done before the place opened the next day. I couldn't handle him working nights all the time, I'd go crazy and their is no way he'd get any sleep, our kids are way too loud!
Oh that's so sweet and so sad. I got all teary eyed reding it:( That's sad that his funeral was on your B-day:( At least you know you'll see him again:)
Post a Comment