Tell me, is 4 the new 3?
My sweet Weston has turned into this mean monster in a matter of a few weeks. He is acting out and not listening. It is HIS way or nothing at all. He is just down right being rude. It has been a real struggle for me and Tyler these past few weeks. We are confused on what we should do for disipline? We have always and still use the naughty mat for time out. It works but I think he needs more of a punishment-- like having toys taken away or something?? Has anyone been through this?? Does anyone have some advise??
I do realize that kids will be kids. We have had rules and disipline since day one and they have never wavered. We follow through on time-outs and don't let him have his way. I like to think that we are strutered parents. But are we? Is he just testing us?
Any advise is welcome.
Sincerely,
A really stressed out parent.








5 comments:
He is totally testing you. And you are not alone!!! Just find out whatever he really hates and do that for punishment! Exp: Shea hates going to bed, so I tell her she has a choice, she can do what I ask or go to bed. My neighbors do that with their kids and it works great. I think it helps when you tell the kid that they have a choice, and it teaches them to choose the right:)
Your guess is a good as mine! I try so hard to follow through and do the right thing. My boys are kind of naughty though so I feel like a I the meanest mom ALL the time! Good luck. I do think he will grow out of it though. Mitchell is doing WAY better this year then he was last year.
I can tell you that I am not the best parent in the world by far, but I feel that you are doing just fine. As long as you stick to your guns he will learn the importance of what you are doing. There are some times when you do have to look at other options, like taking away their favorite toy to help them understand that you mean what you say. I agree with Chelsey that he is testing the waters. It is in our human nature to test the limits to see how far we can go and how close to the line we can get. It doesn't matter what age we are. We do feel like we are mean parents and that continues all the way until our children are adults because kids don't understand why we don't allow them to do the things that they want or what they see everyone else doing. Once they become adults and really have to make their own decisions, they realize that we might have known something. Like I said, the key is to be consistant, as hard as it is, so that they know we mean business. Something that I also learned through life is that we have to learn to pick our battles. Certain things are not worth getting all worked up about, where other things we can't afford to back down on. Each child is different and what works for one, may not work for the another. Just show him love, make sure he understands that you love him and want the best for him, and try to explain to him why he can't do what you don't want him to do and eventually he will be ok. Just a final note, sometimes they act out because they feel that they are not getting the attention that they think they should get. Especially when there is a sibling in the picture. Even though you are giving them the same amount of attention, it seems like they don't see it that way. Sorry for the book.
I wish I had advice to offer you - I know you'll figure something out - and in a few years when I ask you the same question you can tell me what to do ;)
You are such a great mom - I can only hope that I will have as much patience as you do!
Sorry I'm no help, but just try to remember that it's a faze and you'll be able to make it through.
Post a Comment