Sunday, November 20, 2011

How was YOUR Friday?

Friday started like any other day over here at the Tippets. Crazy, loud, non stop-- you get the point.

Other than me being a little grouchy and tired (Breaking Dawn the night before) it was an average day.

Dinner time rolled around.

What to feed the kids?

Tyler and I were going on a date night for his upcoming birthday so the kids were just gonna eat whatever I could find. I like those nights that I don't have to think about dinner...

Weston was sitting on our bar stools at counter. Parker was sitting at kitchen table. The twins were in their highchairs.

The front door knocked. It was Chelsey. She needed to pick somethings up. She couldn't stay because she was busy too. We were in entry way.

Parker was in kitchen hollering for chocolate milk.

I was opening the door for Chelsey to leave then

"BOOM"

Parker fell off our high top table straight to the tiled floor, head first.

It has happened before, believe it or not. I wasn't worried. He was being a stinker and jumping around and throwing a fit about milk.

Chelsey left.

As I shut the front door I realized Wes had helped Parker up and Parker was now walking over to me. He tripped and fell over his own feet. Falling once again. First red flag.

I picked him up and rocked and comforted him. Wes got some ice. Parker immediately was sweating buckets and pale as a ghost.

A few minutes went by with me comforting him. He then looked up at me and asked what had happened.

Me, looking concerned, asked what do you mean what happened?

He asked if someone hit him in the head.

Weston and I explained that he fell off the kitchen chair on his head.

His eyes grew big and he really HAD no idea what had just happened. Second red flag.

I layed him in rocking chair while I cleaned up the twins and got things situated in kitchen. He stayed in the chair for a bit just relaxing.

I decided to put him and big brother in the bath to change the subject and monitor him further.

All was well. He wasn't himself but he did play in the tub.

By this time, my mom had arrived as she was gonna babysit that evening. She is an RN so I wanted her to examine him as well.

She assessed his big bump and was really concerned. The accident happend at 5:30 and it was 7 pm now. No other signs at this point besides memory loss, loss of color and calm behavior.

Tyler and I decided to go to dinner and have my mom keep him awake till we got home.

On our way to dinner, she called and said he was just laying on the floor and was really tired. She was concerned.

5 minutes later she called again. This time he was throwing up. Third red flag.

She told us we needed to come NOW.

So after waiting in line at Pei Wei for 15 minutes and NEVER eating, we left to take our baby to the ER.

By time we got home, he'd thrown up 4 times already.

Off to Cardon's we went.

When we walked into ER, he was throwing up.

They immediately took us back.

We NEVER had to wait, it was great.

He was immediately hooked to an IV as he was really limp and lethargic at this point.

They assessed him and took him for a CT as soon as possible.

he fell asleep for 20 minutes and they let him. He was all hooked up to monitors so it was safe.

When he awoke for that 20 minute nap he turned into a loony, crazy, brain injured person.

He was being so funny.

He was singing songs over and over and over and over again. Namely, the Grand Ol Flag-- thanks to his preschool program the day before.

He was counting. He was sticking his tongue out. He was making faces.

His Ct results came back and looked normal.

They ruled it a concussion. And told us we did the right thing for coming in. His symptoms were so scary and he still has no memory of falling from the chair.

So our Friday was not like any other. 8 hours in ER and our baby is home and happy. We are so grateful that he is alive. The doctors told us it is possible he really could have died. Who knew how dangerous high top tables are? Not I? Our lives could have changed in an instant. We are so grateful for our sweet Parker. And yes. We gave him as much chocolate milk as he wanted after that!

4 comments:

Brett and Rachel said...

OH MY GOSH!!! I am SO SO glad that he is doing ok!!! Head injuries are so scary, and it truly is amazing how quickly your life can change. Hope he continues to heal quickly!

Hiatt Family said...

I am so glad that he is ok! How scary!

Grimes Family said...

Do ERs offer frequent flier miles? :-) I'm glad Parker is ok. How scary!

Kaisa said...

WOW! That is SCARY! I'm so glad he's ok!!!