Most of my friends know that I've had jaw issues since I was 5. I was involved in a bicycle accident that resulted in my jaw breaking and 36 stitches in my chin.
I've suffered for over 20 years with on and off pain, tenderness, major headaches, chewing issues, 2 sets of braces (on my teeth) for jaw alignment correction, etc.
In fact, when I was 5 I was put under and surgery was attempted but failed due to that small bone that was broken, the condyle. It was just too small to put a screw in. So they closed me shut and wired my mouth for 6 weeks.
Fast forward. My jaw hurts and aches all.the.time.
I'm done.
I want to be out of this pain.
We are awaiting Aetna to approve my surgery. There are 4 different options that my surgeon suggested. We are going with the cheaper, less invasive surgery , in hopes Aetna will approve it. This is our second time around to get the surgery approved. Aetna seems to think that this surgery is for cosmetic purposes? What the heck? Which is so not the case.
The surgery I'm getting is called Vertical Ramus Osteotomy.
It will involve a pretty lenghty surgery and require me to spend the night in the hospital-- but I am prepared. Also, my mouth will be wired shut, again. But I'm actually looking forward to that part!
I will give an update as to a surgery date-- hopefully before the end of the year!
Sunday, October 23, 2011
My Jaw
Posted by Unknown at 7:36 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







2 comments:
Wow, let me know if you need anything!!
With a name like that, it sure sounds more serious than cosmetic! Good luck!
Post a Comment