Tuesday, October 18, 2011

The Dead Bolt

On Thursday, it started off as a normal day.


-went to the grocery store with 4 kids

-got a cart full of goods

-came home to unload


I force my bigger kids to help with the unloading process (their wives will thank me later). So Me, Wes and Parker were in the garage grabbing a second load of groceries to haul in from the garage through the laundry room to the kitchen.

I turned with full arms to find the door (that leads us through laundry room) LOCKED! I immediately freaked.

My TWINS were inside. ALONE. And managed to lock the dead bolt.

I look in my car for my cell.

NOTHING.

NO phone. No keys. Nada.

I scream to Wes to run next door for my sweet neighbor to help me. All the while I'm relentlessly banging on the door in hopes the twins can figure out how to unlock the deadbolt that they so easily locked!

My neighbor comes. We search the perimeter of my house for unlocked windows or doors (all the while I knew nothing was unlocked).

I did have my curtain open on my back sliding door ajar so thankfully I could see my babies.

At this point, they had helped themselves into the Fruit Loops. I was okay with that. They dumped them on the floor and sat right on top of the pile and ate and threw and smooched them everywhere.

As long as I could see them I panicked less.

My fear was they were going to unlock my child proof cabinets (which they do all the time) and get my chemicals, etc. Or go into the bathroom. Which I couldn't remember at this point if I had locked the bathroom before we left or not?

In the mean time, my neighbor called 911.

What a joke.

They told her it was a liability for the police to come with 2 unattended children inside and to call a lock smith!

So she calls a lock smith.

They told her the same thing!

At this point, I LOOSE it. I start crying the ugly cry.

My babies are INSIDE unattended and no one can help basically.

All my windows in the house are new and double paned-- which equals expensive.

We managed to find the cheapest window to break and we did so.

We shattered it with a hammer and Wes slid his tiny booty through and "saved the day" as he likes to say.

I was shaking so bad by time it was all said and done.

It was roughly 30 minutes that my babies were inside alone.

I really do know that the Lord watched over and protected my babies for the 30 minutes.

The WHOLE time I had visual on BOTH of them which NEVER happens! They sat on top of the Fruit Loops for 30 minutes and ate and played the WHOLE time. They didn't move! It is nothing short of a miracle. Seriously.

4 comments:

Leslie said...

First of all I'm glad they were kept safe (and you didn't have a heart attack!).

I bet if you sent this story to the makers of Fruit Loops they'd send you some for free! :)

Heather said...

OK I don't get the whole liability thing. I can't believe nobody would help. That's just crazy!! I'm glad it all turned out OK.

Laurie said...

Time to buy a hide-a-key!! :)

Hope you don't mind; I found your blog through Becky's.

Grimes Family said...

Or give a key to a neighbor. Also, it's cheaper to just get new glass & put the window together yourself. Super easy.