Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Craig's List Wack-o

So today was the day that I finally bought a new high chair for Parker. His bit the dust a few weeks ago and meal time has not been the same since. I do have a booster chair with a tray but it sucks and even if he has a bib on food still gets dropped in his lap.

So I have been looking on Craigslist everyday trying to find a good deal. Well.... I found one. A really nice Combi brand one. The lady was asking $20. Which was my first red flag. But hey, I wanted a good deal. I emailed her asking for pictures and she declined. Her Internet wasn't working properly and blah, blah, blah.... She assured me that it was only 6 months old and in perfect, working condition.

So I agreed to meet her in the Toys R Us parking lot because she lived in QC and no way was I driving out there for a high chair that I hadn't even seen.

As I pulled into the parking lot, I spyed her (beat up) mini van already waiting for me. I wanted to just keep driving but she already knew what kind of car I had and was waiting for me.

She opened her trunk and there it was.... the most filthy, dirty highchair I have ever seen. I wanted to vomit. Still not sure if it was the stench of old spit up crusted into the chair or the smell of bacon coming from the old lady????

I was absolutely repulsed at the dishonesty of this stranger of a lady. Who in their right mind would actually think they could sell something so dirty and get away with it?

I just wanted to leave empty handed but what a waste of time.

In a nice manner, I told her how dirty it was. I also questioned her about it being 6 months old....

Needless to say, she knocked down the price and I drove away with a raunchy smelling high chair from a bacon smelling lady.

As soon as we got home, I stripped that thing down and bleached it to death and put every piece I could into the washing machine.

As of now, the high chair looks and smells brand NEW and I couldn't be happier with my cheap purchase of the day.

I guess the moral of the story is.... always look at a picture of the product you are going to buy off Craigslist because some people don't think it is necessary to clean a product before selling!

11 comments:

Coree Adams said...

That makes me wanna puke!

Leslie said...

I'm so glad it worked out! Bleach is cheap. :) I've had good experiences on Craigslist, but I wonder sometimes what people are thinking. I think they're NOT thinking. ;)
Les.

Leslie said...

Weird...I just wrote a comment but it disappeared!
I'm glad it all worked out--bleach is cheap! I wonder sometimes what people on Craigslist are thinking. I think they're *NOT* thinking. ;)
Les.

Katie B. said...

umm - you have no idea! i bought my couch off of craigs list this summer - oh boy - it was like this girl has never ever cleaned it - hair every where - just the grossest thing ever - but i did use it to knock down the price a ton! and then cleaned it up myself - it's nice to get a good deal - but i hate when people try and the true condition of what they're selling - what a great deal though!

HILLARY said...

Sounds like it all worked out. Sucks that you had to go through all the crap though. You probably would have cleaned it anyways right... maybe not so hard core, if it looked presentable. Well good for you!

Alissa Melody said...

hahahaha i love that story!

Heather said...

Sometimes seeing a picture isn't good enough either. I bought several playpens on Craig's List when I was starting my daycare and most of them were in great shape. I found this one that was only $15 and the picture looked great. I thought I was getting a steal. Then I got there and saw it. I think they used it for the dog not a baby. It was covered in hair and reeked like dog pee! It was pretty scarry. I guess if you're gonna shop Craig's List you have to be ready for the unexpected!

Karissa said...

LOL! Seriously peeing my pants. I was litterally picturing the whole thing in my head. I have to see a picture of this thing.

Chelsey Howard said...

Ewww! See, it's stories like this that make me very afraid of Craig's list! Everyone always tells me to get stuff on Craig's list, but there are more dirty people than you think. But I'm glad that you were able to clean it and make it look brand new, that's awesome:) And it was cheap, so I guess it was worth it:)

Jennifer Garrison said...

i can't believe it!! what i really can't believe is that you actually bought it!!!

*Becky* said...

lol I laugh at the way you describe the smell. That's unfortunate that it smelled so nasty. The chair looks good though. Good job cleaning it up!